29 January 2009

The Death Of Cursive Writing

I don't think that I've written more than a paragraph or two in cursive writing at any one time since 1983 (when I learned to type). For the most part I use it only on checks and to sign documents. I've probably texted or blackberried more words than I have written in cursive writing since then. The advent of electronic signature pads and the hypenation of my name have only made my signature harder to read.

Indeed, apart from class notes, court hearing notes, client meeting notes, drafts (later typed) of creative fiction written on lunch breaks, journal entries, and perhaps dozen or two letters, and one or two settlement agreements written in a courtroom or mediation, I don't think I've ever written more than a page of printed script since then. Even my law school examinations were typed.

The future definitely looks bad for graphologists. This had been a good develoment for me, however, as my handwriting is virtually illegible and the poor pen holding position that I ended up with as a mistrained left hander often leaves smudges on the paper and my hands when I write with a pen.

2 comments:

KateGladstone said...

I do a fair job of re-training mistrained left-handers -- come over to http://www.HandwritingThatWorks.com if you feel curious!

Dave Barnes said...

My cursive writing is very weak due to lack of use.

I do remember that my First Grade classroom had examples of every letter (upper and lower) above the blackboard. Of course, they were in the Palmer Method.

The death of cursive is no great loss. It ranks up there with no how to deal with a carburetor in freezing weather.