14 November 2023

Places My Family and I Have Been Abroad

I'm making this list because going someplace makes it feel real.

In North America, I have been to Mexico three times (all with my wife), and to Canada innumerable times (at least a dozen). I've made three trips to Europe: One in high school with my family to the United Kingdom (England and Scotland), France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and West Germany, one with my wife to a united Germany and Greece but mostly to Greece for my 25th Anniversary, and one with my wife, son, and daughter to the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom (England and Wales) when my son finished a semester as a foreign exchange student there. I've also been to both New Zealand and Australia, in what is best viewed as a single extended trip.

My wife has also been to South Korea, Spain, the Cayman Islands, and has made more trips to Mexico than I have as well as far more trips to Canada than I have.

My daughter has also been to Mexico multiple times, to Costa Rica, to the Cayman Islands, and to Portugal.

My son has been to Mexico multiple times, to the Czech Republic, to the Republic of Ireland, to the United Kingdom (Northern Ireland, Wales and England), to France, to Italy, to Switzerland, to Spain, to Turkey (twice), and possibly to other destinations in Europe that I'm not sure about (maybe Portugal and Germany, for example).

My brother was part of the high school trip with my family to the United Kingdom (England and Scotland), France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and West Germany. He has also been to Russia (twice) and to Finland, and possibly to other countries that I can't recall. He has also been to Canada.

3 comments:

Dave Barnes said...

Go to Portugal, EspaƱa, and Italia.
Low costs for food and lodging.
Very good to excellent food.
Friendly people.

Dave Barnes said...

For info on Portugal, see https://juliedawnfox.com

andrew said...

Finland and Tahiti are higher on my list.

Not too excited to go to Iberia or Italy. I don't love Mediterranean food, dislike olives and olive oil, and I'm not particularly curious about their cultural attractions compared to other places.

Finland is an ancestral homeland where I have a million or so documented relatives, including one who lived in my home in the U.S. for a while.

Tahiti is resort bliss, which everyone needs now and then.