19 September 2008

11th Circuit Sanctions Police Brutality

The United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit has held (in a 2-1 decision) that it does not violate the constitution to taser, three times in a row, an unresisting handcuffed man, who asks to be arrested, simply because he fails to get up on a command and fails to voluntarily sign a traffic ticket. The facts of the videotaped incident are undisputed and the video was posted with the opinion.

It is really a shame to see our constitution so badly shredded. This case screams out for en banc review, or U.S. Supreme Court review. Cops like this one should be fired on the spot. Judges like those in the majority in this case betray their oath.

2 comments:

Michael Malak said...

Sorry to distract from the mertis of the blog post, but "sanction" is a worthless word as it is its own antonym.

When I first saw the headline, I said to myself "hooray!"

Anonymous said...

This is SOP for the Eleventh Circuit. I wrote about this case on Sept. 11 and about an earlier case doubtless leading up to it on July 1st. When I wrote my post, entitled "U.S. Circuit Court approves use of torture against U.S. citizens by domestic law enforcement," I eagerly awaiting the pushback for the seemingly incidiary comment. I'm delighted that all of the blog-posts I've read on this case are in accord.