06 February 2008

Do we really live in 2008?

It is the 21st century, but, faced with the trauma of a tornado, so many people remain right where we were millenia ago. They ask simply if the tornado was God's will or Satan's?

I can scarcely even imagine asking questions like that, although, I know that I did when I was a child, perhaps about the age of my own elementary school aged children. Our sometimes violent world isn't conscious and isn't acting with moral purpose. Weather is simply a coldly impersonal physical phenomena, as are many other menances we face, like diseases and avalanches and earthquakes and volcanos and tsunamis.

Not everything has meaning, some things just are.

1 comment:

KaySieverding said...

I predict that the insurance of weather risks, and litigation of weather insurance claims, will be a subject of major concern in the future.