• March 27: First day to begin circulating candidate petitions for Primary Election.
• April 1-20: County Assemblies (click for Democrat or Republican)
• Mid-May: Congressional District Assemblies.
• May 20: State Assembly (both parties).
• May 25: Last day to file candidate petitions for Primary Election.
• July 10: Last day to register to vote for the primary election.
• July 28: Last day to apply for an absentee ballot for the primary election if the ballot is to be mailed.
• July 29: Early voting begins for the primary election.
• Aug. 4: Last day for early voting; last day to apply for an absentee ballot for the primary election if the ballot is not to be mailed.
• Aug. 8: Primary Election Day.
• Oct. 10: Last day to register to vote for the General Election.
• Oct. 23: Early voting begins
• Oct. 27: Last day to apply for an absentee ballot for the General Election if mailed.
• Nov. 3: Last day to apply for an absentee ballot for the General Election if not mailed.
• Nov. 3: Last day for early voting.
• Nov. 7: Election Day.
The Democratic Party County Assembly in Denver, which I plan to attend as a delegate, is on April 8.
In the initiative process:
The deadline for 2006 proposals is April 21, 2006, and May 26, 2006 is the last day to finish the pre-petition circulation initiative process. You need 67,829 signatures to get on the ballot, which must be turned in by August 7, 2006 at 3:00 p.m.
And, there is a special election planned for May, 2006 for the Xcel Energy franchise in Denver. More background here. Negotiations on the agreement were in progress at least as long ago as July of 2005. I presume that there is a deadline to give notice of an election like this, but am not familiar with those rules without looking them up and have contacted my friendly neighborhood election commissioner for more information.
UPDATED: The scoop from Denver Election Commissioner Sandy Adams is as follows:
There probably will be a 3rd election in 2006 for the Xcel franchise, but WHEN will be determined by City council and Xcel. The Election Commission will administer it. You might want to check with CC to see when they think that election will be. The Commission would like to see it happen at the same time as the Aug primary or the November 2006 election to avoid a special election.