29 March 2006

Wise Words From Ken Gordon

From a recent e-mail from Ken Gordon, a State Senator running for Colorado Secretary of State:

After Columbine I carried the bill to do background checks at gun shows. The guns used in that tragedy came from the Tanner Gun Show. I was at an event and a woman approached me. She said, “Are you sponsoring the gun show background check bill?”

I said, “Yes.”

She said, “Is it going to pass?”

I had counted the votes. I said, “No.”

She said, “Why not? Everyone thinks that bill should pass. After what happened at Columbine, this is horrible. Why isn’t it going to pass?” She was angry, and because I was the only one there, she was angry at me.

I said, “Do you know who your State Representative is?”

She said, “No.”

“That is why the bill is not going to pass.”


We need more wise leaders like Ken in public office.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a buddy who sells guns. He knows when someone is not reliable to sell to and won't. At gun shows, there is a community that knows each others business fairly well.

I discussed this with my cousin, the BATF officer, many years ago. He developed relationships with this community and gained their trust (despite G. Gordon).

There are solutions, if one is open to them.