11 August 2008

Piled Higher and Deeper

I've lived all my life in and around institutions of higher education. I grew up in a college town. Both my parents worked at a university, so graduate students always came to our parties. My wife and I have both taken our turns in graduate school. My wife was an international student administrator at a university and also been a lecturer at two different universities, and I've spent time as a professor for graduate students.

Piled Higher and Deeper (a.k.a. PhD), a comic about life as a graduate student, captures the insanity and joy of this world in an incredibly accurate ear.

For example, I tagged along once to my wife's interview with faculty in the Department described in this page of the comic at Bowling Green University, and I remember most of the jargon used in this strip about foreign student visa status.

Go read it. But, head the warning: "Reading this entire archive can be hazardous to your research. Proceed with caution and use only in moderation."

Hat Tip to Physics Formus.

No comments: