14 November 2019

Disabling Drones By Disabling Their Eyes

Protestors in Chile and Hong Kong have used personal laser pointers to take down or disable drones monitoring the protests.

I've also been pondering another way to disable drones of all kinds by impairing their sensors inspired by the fact that the performance of my backing camera on my car is greatly impaired when I've driven through dirty, wet snowy roads that leave a thin layer of mud all over the lens.

What if you used spray paint, or hurled a fine mist of mud, or shot a paintball gun at the sensors of a drone? It would seem to me that this might be sufficient to take it out of action, and also to force soldiers within manned vehicles reliant upon cameras to target its guns or operate it, to get out of the protective hull to keep the vehicle fully operational.

No comments: