13 October 2010

Dienekes Will Be Pissed

My favorite Greek anthropologist (O.K., the only Greek anthropologist I know, if I'm being honest), will probably be most irked to discover that:

A group of leading historians held a press conference Monday at the National Geographic Society to announce they had "entirely fabricated" ancient Greece, a culture long thought to be the intellectual basis of Western civilization.

The group acknowledged that the idea of a sophisticated, flourishing society existing in Greece more than two millennia ago was a complete fiction created by a team of some two dozen historians, anthropologists, and classicists who worked nonstop between 1971 and 1974 to forge "Greek" documents and artifacts.


All that education gone to waste. What a shame.

1 comment:

Maju said...

LOL

"... and next thing I know I'm stuck in Athens all summer building a goddamn Parthenon just to cover our tracks".

As joke is pretty good, wonder how many will be conned. :)